Thursday 22 October 2009

The Corporation vs. Ad and Ego

I have not lived in America for a long time. Before watching both of these documentries, I had forgotten just how pervasive advertising is. I tend to aviod Israeli TV (Its terrible) and I surf the internet with AdblockPlus running to avoid flashy embeded ads, so I guess I had a more sheltered perspective.

What these two documentaries have given me is scale. I always knew that big business would do what ever it could to get as high profit margins as possible, and that ads where specifically designed to try and get around any mental defenses against them. However, I never knew exactly how much of American society is controlled by business and surrounded by ads.

I feel that in an environment similar to the one America lives in today gets in the way of people staying informed. With so many messages, almost all of which benifit big buisness, being directed at our minds, I think that its going to be very difficult for people to make informed choices about what they want (or dont want) to buy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment